Re: Checking in files with trailing white space

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Checking in files with trailing white space
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 14:57:42 -0800

On 12/12/2016 02:16 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
However, this absolute prohibition on trailing spaces is fascistic.
Some files (for example, test files) have essential trailing spaces in
them

I added a comment to the pre-commit file to help out others in your situation; see the attached patch.

As it is all too easy to overlook trailing white space when reading source code, I'd rather avoid having significant whitespace in committed files. If I were writing those test cases, I'd commit files that didn't have trailing whitespace, and convert them to files-with-trailing-whitespace while running the test.

Similarly, I'd rather avoid committing binary data. It's easier to read and review text files, given the tools we have. Any tests that require binary data can generate the data when the test is run.