option for loading up a gui specific emacs daemon

From: Filipe Silva
Subject: option for loading up a gui specific emacs daemon
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 21:02:15 -0200

Dear developers of the mighty emacs editor,

I'd like to load emacs with emacs --daemon=gui and then connect to it with emacsclient -c --sever-file=gui.

This works almost right. The problem is that various popular packages make extensive use of the (display-graphic-p) function/predicate to query frame capabilities. For example, a theme package may query (display-graphic-p) and assign gui or tty colors accordingly.

the thing is that(display-graphic-p) always returns nil in a emacs --deamon type of loading, because emacs does not know if you are using emacsclient with a gui or a tty.

Is there a way to say to emacs something like, "look, I'm starting you as a daemon, but I promise I'll only connect to you with gui frames, so for all intents and purposes, pretend that you are being started up as a gui".

If there is not a way to do that, maybe we could add that kind of option?

The impact of not having this options is that cosmetic packages that make use of (display-graphic-p) always look off in a emacs --daemon loading scenario.

thanks in advance,

Ninrod