Re: Checking in files with trailing white space

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Checking in files with trailing white space
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 23:47:02 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
providing compressed text files in the distribution
doesn't violate the GPL or its spirit.

Sure, but we are talking about binary data files that are in the repository, which is not the same thing. Most of these files are not in .gz form; they are typically object files (in the GPL sense) of some other sort. These are the more-serious issue, as far as the GPL goes. Again, I'm saying we're violating the GPL -- merely that we are not setting a good example of best practice.

Even if we restrict our attention to the repository's compressed text files, there seems little point to compressing a file before putting it into the repository. Compression makes it unnecessarily hard to maintain a text file, as standard maintenance commands do not work as well with such files. Although I agree this practice doesn't violate the GPL, it is unnecessarily awkward and the cost of compression typically outweighs the benefits.