Re: [RFC] making image-dired thumbnail creation asynchronous

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [RFC] making image-dired thumbnail creation asynchronous
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:21:10 +0200

> From: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 21:36:38 -0500
>
> The biggest problem right now is the aforementioned OOM killer problem:
> that there is no notion of batching or scheduling and so potentially a
> large number of "convert" processes get spun off.  I'm not sure yet how
> I want to go about implementing that.

Would load-average help you?

Or we could add a function that returns the amount of free VM on the
system.

Or you could arbitrarily limit the number of such processes to some
small value.

> Also, is (redisplay) the right thing to call at the end a thumbnail's
> creations so each of thumbnails get shown automatically as they are
> created?

Please tell the details of how Emacs is notified about thumbnail
creation (or point to the code which does that), because I don't see
why you would need to explicitly trigger redisplay.  It should happen
automatically whenever the buffer contents changes in any way that
affects the displayed portion.