RE: forward-comment and syntax-ppss

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: forward-comment and syntax-ppss
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 15:16:31 -0800 (PST)

> The idea is to move the user-facing narrowing commands to some other
> foundation (like the invisible and maybe intangible text properties),
> freeing the narrowing facility for use by the Lisp code.

I couldn't disagree more.  Fix the _code_, if it is mistaken.

Code should know whether it should "respect" the current
buffer restriction.  If for some reason it cannot, then it
needs to punt - raise an "I don't know what I'm doing!" error
or whatever.  If the user is involved, and the user can tell
it whether the restriction should be respected, then it could
conceivably ask the user.

There is no royal road here.  This is no different from
calling code blindly and somehow expecting wise behavior.