Re: forward-comment and syntax-ppss

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: forward-comment and syntax-ppss
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 02:42:50 +0200

On 17.12.2016 01:16, Drew Adams wrote:

Not a problem for me.  And doesn't have to be a problem for
vanilla Emacs users either, if the proper commands are added.

You're actually proposing a change to the current narrowing-widening UI and API. That should indicate that the current one is insufficient, or, has problems.

I'm not in any hurry to adopt it, though, because it doesn't solve any multi-mode problems. Not by itself, at least.

In my case:
1. `C-x n n' to "focus on reading" a paragraph in the node.
2. `C-x n x' to return to the full node (not all of Info).
End of story.

What happens if you press `C-x n x' once more?

In any case, you've introduced "a different kind of narrowing" yourself. Your `C-x n n' command does something else than just call narrow-to-region.

2. Multi-mode usage where the framework delegates to each
subregion's major mode for fontification and indentation.

I can't speak to that (too vague for me).

I've described it in more detail numerous times. Please go ahead and use the search.

But a wild guess might
be that maybe "the framework" should _not_ blindly so delegate.
IOW, if it hurts, don't do it.  Maybe a better sauce is needed
for the recipe.  Or maybe the delegate itself needs to be
improved, before it can be delegated this way.
[...]

Not helpful.

Seems like font-lock etc. code should be able
to do whatever narrowing it needs to do (modulo, perhaps,
communicating what it's done).

We want to highlight different regions using different sets of font-lock rules.

If that is wrong for a potential
caller then the caller might need to do something different.

What?