Re: Building Emacs on WSL

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Building Emacs on WSL
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 02:00:31 +0100

Hi BIGS...

From: Paul Eggert
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:48:35 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
If you want this issue solved, please attach a debugger to temacs, and
post the backtrace, preferably after filing a bug report.

I thought the goal was to get portable dumping working soon? If so, this problem
with WSL ought to be low priority, as portable dumping will make this porting
problem irrelevant.

We don't know yet what caused this problem.  And I don't think future
developments should prevent users from reporting bugs.  We can, of
course, decide not to fix this or that bug, but I don't think we
should tell users we don't want to hear about them.

I understand this is a low priority issue if it is... Remember that WSL is marked as "beta". I flagged this only for the record, just in case someone had a similar experience.

BTW, in my builds of emacs-25 branch I notice a more serious issue. After "M-x package-list-packages", in the Packages buffer I cannot type anything. If I do, I get, embedded in that buffer,

[1]+ Stopped

and the Bash prompt, as if I had typed C-z, and 'fg' seems partially resurrect Emacs, but it is unusable. I have to close WSL window. In short I cannot install packages from MELPA/ELPA with these builds.

This issue is absent if I install (in WSL) the Ubuntu package emacs24-nox with apt-get...

I did also a build of emacs-25 using more or less the same "configure" with which emacs24-nox is built in Ubuntu. But no good results.

Ciao,
 Angelo.