Re: forward-comment and syntax-ppss

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: forward-comment and syntax-ppss
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 10:38:23 -0500

> Also, just when would widening or narrowing be "not permissible"?

Good question.  AFAIK this question (and other similar) is the
fundamental issue w.r.t when should syntax-ppss (or any replacement
there of) use point-min and when it should use something else.

My tentative answer is simply "when the code that installed this
narrowing said so".

This said, another option is to declare that such are misuses of
narrowing (like Lars suggests) and then use some other way to indicate
which "buffer start" position to use in syntax-ppss.  As a matter of
fact that's consistent with what I advocated back in the
"indentation-context" discussion (and was then implemented and later
removed).

        Stefan