Re: Emacs 25.2 RC1 next week

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 25.2 RC1 next week
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:53:14 -0500

>> Could someone take a look at this bug https://debbugs.gnu.org/23002?
>> Reported before 25.1 release and still bothers me everyday. It causes a
>> few seconds delay randomly on M-x.
> My problem with the patch proposed there is that it touches a very
> sensitive area, and does that for all the supported systems.
> Stefan, any comments on that?

Re-reading the thread, the *right* solution is to fix while-no-input,
and apparently the easiest way to do that would be to change
while-no-input so that it calls an `internal--adjust-polling-frequency`
function after binding throw-on-input (and maybe after un-binding it as
well).

On systems which don't use polling at all,
internal--adjust-polling-frequency would just do nothing.

The patch should be fairly simple, but I don't think anyone wrote
such a patch yet, so I can't tell if it would be appropriate for emacs-25.

Maybe for emacs-25 we can live with the workaround of adding a "dummy"
call to (input-pending-p) in execute-extended-command--shorter.

        Stefan