Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 61f8c23 1/2: Minor advice.el fix

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 61f8c23 1/2: Minor advice.el fix
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 19:43:54 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> schrieb am Sa., 17. Dez. 2016 um 23:09 Uhr:
> Yes, fset for most primitives should be forbidden.

Define "most".

That would mean we can't use advise, trace-function, debug-on-entry, or
elp on them.  There are very legitimate reasons to fset them.

For some of them definitely. I'd draw the line between pure functions like car and eq, where those facilities never make sense and would be ineffective anyway as the functions are compiled away or called directly, and impure functions like call-process, where fset is necessary for mocking. As a rule of thumb, I'd suggest to ban fset on all symbols that have a byte-code equivalent, and on constant symbols.