Re: scrolling in shell buffer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: scrolling in shell buffer
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 08:07:16 -0500

  > AFAIK, the only way redisplay guarantees that point will always be at
  > the bottom of the window is if you set scroll-conservatively to a
  > value larger than 100.  Otherwise, sooner or later you will see
  > recentering under some conditions.

  > If you want this behavior for shell buffers, I suggest to customize
  > comint-move-point-for-output and/or comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input.

comint-move-point-for-output is not pertinent.
It controls moving point.  This is not about moving point.

comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input is not pertinent either.
It controls what happens on input.  This is not about input.

Customizing is not pertinent, since this issue I'm raising
is about the proper default.

I think that we should make the default behavior for shell buffers,
when point is at the end, to scroll to keep point at the bottom of the
window.

Does anyone disagree that this behavior would be right?

--
Dr Richard Stallman