Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 15:09:59 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> So my next idea would be to come up with a smaller loadup.el which
> only loads the stuff that is needed for temacs to start.  I didn't try
> that yet, but I did think that Phillip's work on ldefs-boot might just
> be a good starting point: those ldefs-boot-*.el files might be just
> what we need.
>
> IMO, it would be interesting to see where this will take us, and what
> kind of performance could that produce.

I looked at this a little and in fact the boot code that I have written
does tell you exactly which autoloads you need to get temacs to work --
it's not very many, I think that there are only 10 or so (bytecomp.el
for instance).

Of course, this is 10 autoloads PLUS all of the non-auto loads in
loadup.el. My own feeling is that this is a bit unclean at the moment;
given that loadup.el is supposed to support temacs till the point that
it dumps, probably all of the autoloads used for this process should be
explicitly in loadup; or, alternatively, we should have very non-auto
loads in loadup and do everything via autoload.

Phil