Re: Building Emacs on WSL

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: Building Emacs on WSL
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 23:01:59 +0100

Il 20/12/2016 13:20, Fabrice Popineau ha scritto:
For the record,

Emacs 25.1 builds fine and runs fine under WSL providing you install all
the required packages.
I used :
 ../emacs/configure --with-jpeg --with-xpm --with-tiff --with-rsvg
--with-xml2 --with-gnutls --with-imagemagick --with-png=yes
and mobaxterm as an X server. Everything is ok. I could even load Spacemacs
with its about 100 packages.

Yes, emacs-25 branch builds (adopting the work around 'echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space' before to start the build) but I do not use these builds in X,

$ /opt/emacs/bin/emacs

starts Emacs in the WSL terminal (aka DOS command prompt window in W10). It seems to work fine.. but have found an issue with the packages manager. See: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2016-12/msg00777.html.

Have you tried to use your builds in terminal mode (noX)?

The problem seems to be with running emacs in the console.
It is working as expected in GUI mode, but in the the terminal, it is suspended every key I type.

Fabrice