Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 02:44:54 -0500

On Dec 20, 2016, at 18:22, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> them, I wonder: If we go the big-elc route, can we defer loading the doc
>> strings until they’re actually needed?  Perhaps using the “(#$ . nnnn)”
>
> In the dumped.elc file I generate, there should be basically
> no docstrings (the data I dump already uses either the NNN or the (#$
> . NNN) representation to point to docstrings in the DOC file or in the
> original .elc file), so I don't think there's much opportunity for deferral.

Ah, yes, I forgot that happens even for the loaddefs doc strings not explicitly
using that syntax, thanks to Snarf-documentation.  At least, so long as all the
files we might pre-load under various conditions are all covered by the DOC
file, if we do take the approach of a smaller file for batch mode.

Ken