Re: RFC: defcustom display-popup-menus for display-popup-menus-p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RFC: defcustom display-popup-menus for display-popup-menus-p
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 22:28:08 +0200

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 14:45:02 -0500
>
> Currently the function `display-popup-menus-p' doesn't have any
> user-customizable behavior as far as I can tell, and it's used by
> `read-multiple-choice' for instance.
>
> This creates annoying dialogs that require a mouse to click.
>
> I propose a new boolean defcustom `display-popup-menus' so users can
> disable graphical popups.

display-popup-menus-p is supposed to be a capability-reporting
function, like display-graphic-p.  It shouldn't be customizable.  What
should be customizable are the Lisp programs which ask questions via
popup menus.  The function you mention, read-multiple-choice, already
allows that via the existing variable use-dialog-box.

Btw, the dialog/menu should only pop up if the command itself was
invoked via a mouse.  Since you say you don't want to click the mouse,
I wonder how come you got that popup menu in the first place.