GSoC project "Hyphenation"?

From: hector
Subject: GSoC project "Hyphenation"?
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 02:09:36 +0100

Hi.

I did the same and I came upon this post.

I wrote a little program in ELISP to do it.
Currently it works but I have to fix some things: patterns should not match
at the end of the word.

Since my purpose was not to hyphenate mails or output of console
I didn't wrote anything to integrate it with the available filling
or searching functions.

It just takes a word and returns a list of word "slices".

But now I'm thinking that this is some general task. Not specific to
Emacs nor TeX. Shouldn't it be a system library?

To try it:
M-: (load-patterns "FILENAME.DIC")
M-x ly:hyphenate-region