Re: [elpa] master 580a1b6: Respect .elpaignore when compiling and optimi

From: Jackson Ray Hamilton
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 580a1b6: Respect .elpaignore when compiling and optimize compilation.
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 22:58:30 -0800

> I think we can skip the second tar with something like
> "tar -cvhf /dev/null 2>&1".

I tried this before, and again just now, but it does not cause make to
execute at a significantly different speed on my machine.  Is the effect
more noticeable on yours?

> But I have a question: are we sure that tar will always apply the -X
> "$${pt}/.elpaignore" patterns to the files explicitly mentioned on the
> command line?

Good point.  I suppose not in this instance, where I get no output:

$ mkdir -p a/a
$ touch a/b.el a/a/b.el
$ echo 'a/b.el' > a/.elpaignore
$ tar -ch a/*.el --no-recursion --exclude-vcs -X a/.elpaignore \
  | tar --list

Since .elpaignore is inside the project directory, I assume that we
should be treating .elpaignore as matching relative to inside the
project root.  We should cd into the project directory first, so we
don't accidentally match against the project's directory's name, too.

$ cd a
$ tar -ch *.el --no-recursion --exclude-vcs -X .elpaignore | tar --list

The above command correctly yields "b.el".

Did you have any other cases in mind?