Re: make fails for Gnu Elpa

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: make fails for Gnu Elpa
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 21:35:02 -0500

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Michael Heerdegen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Jackson Ray Hamilton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Sorry about that.  The GNUmakefile is supposed to not compile that
>> file.  I've just pushed another patch in that area; will you pull and
>> see if the issue still occurs?
>
> Yes, still occurs.
>
>> That doesn't happen on my system (Debian 8).  Can you also please
>> describe your system?
>
> Debian testing (mostly).  make is from testing, version 4.1-9.

I think the problem is that the file arguments to tar have to go after
the other options. Changing directory doesn't seem needed.

~/src/emacs/elpa$ pt=packages/context-coloring
~/src/emacs/elpa$ tar -cvh $pt/*.el -X $pt/.elpaignore > /dev/null
packages/context-coloring/context-coloring-benchmark.el
packages/context-coloring/context-coloring-coverage.el
packages/context-coloring/context-coloring.el
packages/context-coloring/context-coloring-emacs-lisp.el
packages/context-coloring/context-coloring-javascript.el
packages/context-coloring/context-coloring-test.el
~/src/emacs/elpa$ tar -cvh -X $pt/.elpaignore $pt/*.el > /dev/null
packages/context-coloring/context-coloring.el
packages/context-coloring/context-coloring-emacs-lisp.el
packages/context-coloring/context-coloring-javascript.el
~/src/emacs/elpa$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.29
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.