Re: Reformat all of src/

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Reformat all of src/
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 12:58:51 -0000

On Wed, December 28, 2016 4:45 am, John Wiegley wrote:

> CG> I found it irritating that there was inconsistent usage of tabs and
> spaces CG> at the beginning of lines. So I reformatted the entirety of the
> src CG> directory such that all lines that begin with 8 spaces now begin
> with CG> tabs, and all lines that begin with 1 tab and 8 spaces now begin
> with 2 CG> tabs, and so on.
>

> Hi Chris,
>

> I appreciate the other cleanup changes you've made, but I must reject
> this one. Feel free to fix whitespace along with other changes you make to
> a given area of code, but bulk changes like this do nothing but cure a
> problem people aren't having, while hurting our history and blame tools.

Why not patch up dir-locals.el to switch on whitespace.el, and highlight
bad spacing? At the moment, the spacing is inconsistent enough that I
don't know which spacing is considered correct and highlighting would help
to define this.

As Chris says, it's somewhat inconsistent at the moment, so copying nearby
lines doesn't really help.

FWIW (not very much) I think tabs suck...