Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 16:42:17 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 05:36:58PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 17:55:00 +0000
> > Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > > I'm still wondering how useful this could be for C code though. There are
> > > many coding conventions where the opening { of a function does not go in
> > > the left-most column. As far as I understand, such coding conventions
> > > would
> > > lead to slower parsing?

> > This convention is not useful for C.

> Our coding standards clearly call for starting a function's body with
> an opening brace in column zero.

Yes.  But there are other conventions where, for example, a function's
opening brace is hanging at the right hand side, e.g. in AWK Mode.  In
C++ Mode, when functions are written inside a namespace, they might be
indented to reflect that, rather than put at column 0.

I think what I really meant was that the convention was not helpful for
CC Mode.  ;-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).