Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 19:09:46 +0200

> From: Nikolaus Rath <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 08:45:15 -0800

> >> This convention is not useful for C.
> >
> > Our coding standards clearly call for starting a function's body with
> > an opening brace in column zero.
>
> I would hope that Emacs is used not only to edit its own source code but
> also other code, for which these standards don't apply.

It is, but how is that relevant to the issue at hand?  The issue at
hand is how does open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start affect C code
editing.  The intent of my reference to GNU standards was to point
out that having an opening brace in column zero is a very frequent
situation in the C sources of any GNU project, and therefore saying
this convention is not useful for C flies in the face of the reality
right under our feet.