Re: Reformat all of src/

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Reformat all of src/
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 10:38:17 -0800

Phillip Lord wrote:
The commit hook already checks for some whitespace issues (spaces before
tabs for instance).

That it checks for spaces-for-tabs is mostly an accident. I added 'git diff-index --check' to the pre-commit hook mostly to catch white space at line end, which can be a real problem due to languages like C and Elisp where such white space (typically invisible) can quietly change the semantics of a program.

Althoug the --check option also happens to look for space-before-tab in initial indent, this is not a significant problem in practice for us and we could easily remove that part of the check if we want. I haven't worried about it, though, because (like Stefan) I view this tab-vs-spaces thing as a waste of time. I don't even like the indent-tabs-mode thing that we default to in elisp code, as it's one more thing to worry about in an area where we should not be worrying.