Improving representation of EIEIO objects in backtraces/error messages

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Improving representation of EIEIO objects in backtraces/error messages
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 11:02:47 -0800

I can't be the first one to be bitten by this...

When developing using EIEIO objects, backtraces and edebug messages can
be very difficult to use. In edebug, if you're lucky, you get the
#<object-class I'm an object> representation, but if you're unlucky, you
get the vector. In backtraces, you always get the vector.

For large objects, or those involving recursive data structures, this
makes error reporting frustrating, to put it delicately. It can take the
printer a good couple seconds to barf up the representation of an
object, and when it does it makes a huge mess of the minibuffer and/or
*Message* buffer.

I've defined `object-print' methods for some classes, and would dearly
love it if those methods could be used everywhere, even in simple
`eval-expression' situations. Or if there were at least an option that
would allow me to turn this behavior on and off.

Can I open a bug report?

Eric