RE: [patch] Run occur command restricted to a region

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [patch] Run occur command restricted to a region
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:52:21 -0800 (PST)

> I agree with Drew's reasoning behind not using up the M-s b/f
> bindings for occur-backward/forward. But I don't like the idea
> of having M-s o as a submap binding.  M-s o is super useful as
> it is now.

It is simple to hit `o o' instead of `o'.  And it has the
advantage of reminding you of the fact that there are also
`o f' and `o b'.  `M-s o o' is no less "super useful" than
`M-s o'.

> Here's a suggestion for bindings that might work out.
> I am not at a computer, so cannot verify if M-s M-o is
> already taken,.. but if not then how about M-s M-o f
> for occur-forward, and M-s M-o b for occur-backward??
>
> The above bindings are easy to press and also easy to remember.

Those are horrible, IMO.  Instead of sacrificing `M-s b'
and `M-s f' you are sacrificing `M-s M-o'.  So you've
saved only one key.  And at the cost of introducing more
complexity.

And inconsistency, unless you also move `occur' to
`M-s M-o o'.  If you do that, then I'm in favor.

The point is to group all of the occur commands wrt
keys: have them use the same prefix.  Prefix `M-s M-o'
is at least as easy to use as prefix `M-s o'.