RE: [patch] Run occur command restricted to a region

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: RE: [patch] Run occur command restricted to a region
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 11:57:06 +0900 (JST)

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016, Drew Adams wrote:

 (define-key search-map "o"    'occur)
+(define-key search-map "b"    'occur-backward)
+(define-key search-map "f"    'occur-forward)

FWIW, I don't think those keys (`M-s b' and `M-s f') should be
bound to those commands.  If we want to bind the new commands
during Isearch then I suggest that the occur commands be grouped
on prefix key `M-s o':

 M-s oo   occur
 M-s ob   occur-backward
 M-s of   occur-backward

`M-s' is a _general_ search prefix key.  There is nothing
particularly mnemonic about `b' or `f' being `occur-backward'
or `occur-forward'.  And we should not sacrifice 3 `M-s' keys
to these commands.

I, and perhaps other users, and perhaps in the future vanilla
Emacs, have other bindings on `M-s'.  And `M-s' bindings can
be anything at all related to the encompassing context of
searching.
I agree with you that my suggested keybindings are not a good choice.
To me, grouping related commands under a common prefix sounds like
a good idea.
I am also OK with not providing keybindings to these new commands at all.