Re: [patch] Run occur command restricted to a region

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [patch] Run occur command restricted to a region
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 01:16:34 +0200

>> > 1) occur-backward: for lines before the current one.
>>
>> The name occur-backward falsely implies it uses re-search-backward,
>> and I'm unsure if we need it as a counter part of isearch-backward.
>
> I can suggest occur-before and occur-after instead.

Or occur-above and occur-below.

What causes the doubt is that there are no other commands like that.
No ‘count-words-before’, no ‘count-words-above’, just ‘count-words-region’
no ‘comment-before’, no ‘comment-above’, just ‘comment-region’,
no ‘delete-before’, no ‘delete-above’, just ‘delete-region’,
and tens of other similar commands.  This means that it's simple enough
to select the region (e.g. ‘M-<’ to the beginning of the buffer) and
use ‘*-region’ commands to operate on the active region.
So it should be enough to handle the active region in ‘occur’
without creating new commands.