Re: official Emacs Docker image

From: Yann Hodique
Subject: Re: official Emacs Docker image
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 17:22:17 -0800

>>> The final "image" as they call it will be an Emacs binary, built on that
>>> base, that users can download and directly run from any of the major
>>> operating systems (Mac OS X, Windows, any flavor of GNU/Linux).

>> At this point, I am confused, because the statements seem to conflict.

>> Would the "Docker image" of Emacs _include_ the base system? Or would it be
>> an executable Emacs package that could be installed straight _on top of_
>> that base system?

> I see now that I was unclear: A Docker image is a self-contained tarball
> containing a GNU/Linux kernel, necessary system software, and the final Emacs
> executable that was built by the image recipe.

That is not accurate: the Linux kernel is intentionally *not* part of
the Docker image, since it's meant to be shared between all container
instances and provide the runtime constructs (cgroups, namespaces, ...)
that Docker relies on.

Instead it is provided by the system running the Docker platform: your
regular GNU/Linux distribution, or for other systems typically a virtual
machine running a minimal system (with at least a Linux kernel, and
often not much more) dedicated to running only Docker.

Thanks

Yann.

--
Speak the truth.  That is always much easier,
and is often the most powerful argument.

  -- Bene Gesserit Axiom