Re: How to help with bug 21071

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: How to help with bug 21071
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 11:04:47 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Nikolaus Rath <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 16:35:46 -0800
>>
>> What is the best way for me to fix bug
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21071. This is about IMAP
>> mails not being marked as read when they are expired at the same time.
>>
>> I'm happy to write a patch, but it's not clear to me what the patch
>> should do. Is the suggestion in message #11 a good idea?
>
> Could some Gnus maintainer please answer Nikolaus's questions?
> Thanks.

I'm by no means a Gnus maintainer, but I'm somewhat familiar with the
code, and would opt for Nikolaus' second suggestion on the bug tracker:
taking `gnus-summary-expire-articles' out of
`gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook', and explicitly calling it in
`gnus-summary-exit'.

My understanding of hooks is they're meant more for user customization,
but running the expiration is Gnus plumbing (if users don't want to
expire articles, they already have plenty of ways of doing that). And it
seems evident that setting marks should happen before expiration (at
least to me!).

Eric