Re: Last commit breaks macOS build

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Last commit breaks macOS build
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 15:43:16 -0800

On 01/06/2017 03:33 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> Now, if I understand, 'nt' should refer to the build on MSW: Why,
> then, the same message in the build on GNU/Linux and on macOS?

Becuase nt/gnulib.mk is built by the developer with special tools like
'autoconf', not by the builder who merely starts with a tarball and runs
'configure; make' and should not need the special tools.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess, and the mess is largely caused by
Emacs using Automake, and Automake is needed only because of Gnulib
(because Gnulib assumes Automake for portability to older systems
lacking GNU Make). I'll look into fixing this so that Gnulib no longer
assumes Automake, so that Emacs can stop relying on Automake. Since
Emacs assumes GNU Make, it doesn't need Automake (except for the Gnulib
code, which I think I can fix).