Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnu

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:35:32 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> gnulib.mk is needed to produce Makefile.in, which is needed to produce
> Makefile, so Makefile cannot detect these things.

There is a Makefile there, and of course it can detect these things if
we want it to.  If there is no Makefile there, then nobody has said
"make" before, and in that case, things will work fine.

For instance, if you check in "make"-breaking changes, then you could
also check in something that has the necessary commands to make "make"
work again.  We just have to establish some kind of mechanism -- for
instance, a special directive in the commit message?  Or something else.