correct way to install a bug fix?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: correct way to install a bug fix?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 00:20:33 -0700

Hi.

I have a few Emacs bug fixes that I would like to push.  However, I
don't know the correct way to do this.

On the one hand, admin/notes/git-workflow seems to advise pushing to
master and then cherry-picking to the release branch, adding "Backport:"
to the commit message.

On the other hand, admin/notes/repo says that fixes should be installed
on the release branch and then someone will sync them to master; and it
says that installing manually on more than one branch is bad.

Which should I do?

thanks,
Tom