Re: correct way to install a bug fix?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: correct way to install a bug fix?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 10:46:49 +0200

> From: Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 00:20:33 -0700
>
> On the one hand, admin/notes/git-workflow seems to advise pushing to
> master and then cherry-picking to the release branch, adding "Backport:"
> to the commit message.
>
> On the other hand, admin/notes/repo says that fixes should be installed
> on the release branch and then someone will sync them to master; and it
> says that installing manually on more than one branch is bad.
>
> Which should I do?

In general, the latter.  (git-workflow only says what you cite under
"Backporting", which describes a situation where a commit pushed to
master is later regarded as appropriate for the release branch, which
is not your use case.)

However, we are very close to releasing Emacs 25.2 from the release
branch, so currently the release branch is is only open for changes
that fit one of the following criteria:

  . documentation changes
  . fixes for bugs that were introduced by Emacs 25.1
  . very safe fixes for bugs introduced in v24.5

If your bugfixes don't fit any of these, please push to master.

Thanks.