Re: CEDET Merge

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: CEDET Merge
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 22:23:59 +0100

Edward John Steere writes:
> Our main concern is to maintain the commit history and I think that my
> original approach of merging to CEDET and then back creates too much
> noise.

Merging to the CEDET repo is not needed, since we will abandon it
anyway.

> I think that the best way to go about this is to move everything in the
> CEDET project into folders which mirror their destination in core.
> Changes will be required for:
>  - The grammar files, which need to be in admin/grammars
>  - The tests, which need to be in test/manual/cedet
>  - The documentation files, which need to move to doc/misc (and
>    should probably be flattened.)
>
> Once moved we commit, add CEDET as a remote of Emacs and merge
> CEDET/master allowing unrelated histories.

I think it will be less work to simply do the diff|patch game and fixing
a few paths along the way. Since the histories are unrelated, git cannot
really help you with the merges anyway.

> (I considered moving the tests, but they have history too and we'd have
> to start splitting commits to get them across w/o the rest of upstream
> CEDET.  Additionally there's nothing preventing the tests from being run
> with CEDET in Emacs core.  Just start it with --no-init add the test
> folder to the load path, load the relevant test file and run it.)

I wouldn't worry too much about the history of the tests. The authorship
of the changes should be clear, but at least I don't care much for
granularity here.

-David