Re: CEDET Merge

From: Edward John Steere
Subject: Re: CEDET Merge
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 19:51:48 +0200

> My worry is indeed feature creep. The CEDET merge fell behind because I
> couldn't keep up with the changes in Emacs, most notably the switch to
> git and the extensive changes in EIEIO. The code base is very large and
> complicated, so I'm against adding more code to Emacs core.

Alright.  I'll get to work on porting the tests again and limit the
tests which I merge to those which will be relevant to the components
which will end up in core.

> Instead, we
> should try to make it more modular and put support for certain languages
> and project types into separate ELPA projects. This would also make it
> easier to share maintainership of CEDET.
>
> -David

I couldn't agree more on this point.  I also think that many users are
itching to improve the aspects of CEDET which they use and that a move
like this would make strides in making the project accessible to those
kinds of contributions.  Let's get this merge done so that we can get
cracking on the ELPA projects too! :-)