Re: Referring users to external web pages

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Referring users to external web pages
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 17:43:56 -0500

  > SH> Is there a policy for referring users to external web pages in Emacs, or
  > SH> can we go ahead?

  > SH> The [documentation] at MDN is licensed under CC-BY-SA, if that matters.
  > This will have to be decided by Richard, or someone at the FSF.

That documentation is free, so it is ok for us to recommend it.

There is no ethical issue in having a special function to access those
pages.  Technically, though, if users need to remember that function's
name, this feature is more complexity than it is worth.  Can you find
a way to make it automatic so that users don't have anything extra to
remember?

Also, we don't want to pressure users in the direction of consulting
material over the net rather than having a local copy.  So please make
the function also work with a local copy, if there is a local copy.

By the way: Please don't use the word "content" to refer to published
works.  That term disparages those works.  See
https://gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html.

--
Dr Richard Stallman