Re: Referring users to external web pages

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Referring users to external web pages
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 00:09:04 +0700

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 11:24 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> I wonder how easy it would be to repackage MDN's documentation as an
>> info manual.
>
> An easier first step might be to make sure that those Mozilla pages get
> cached locally after you access them, with a fairly long "time before
> refresh" (and in such a way that subsequent accesses don't need *any*
> network access).

I really dislike both of the above ideas.

MDN is a wiki. That means anybody* could add useful information at any
time. Both repackaging in a different format and caching aggressively
will defeat that advantage. It will also discourage or prevent the
user from participating.

Additionally, some MDN articles contain live examples which will only
make sense in a fairly capable web browser.

I would certainly appreciate being able to jump to a relevant MDN
article by pressing an easy key in Emacs, but I would prefer reading
it in my preferred browser.

*) Anybody who is not averse to having a Github account.