Re: 64-bit build on Windows

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: 64-bit build on Windows
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 21:40:44 +0100

> From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 20:23:29 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
>  If Emacs on Windows is built to use the DLLs, and they are not available (let's say you downloaded a
>  binary tarball built with Imagemagick support, but you don't have the DLLs in your system), Windows
>  won't allow emacs.exe to run. That's a big problem.
>
> ???
>
> Not when you use LoadLibrary and fortunately.

The coe that uses LoadLibrary is based on dynamic-library-alist, so as
long as Imagemagick DLLs are not in that alist, there's no LoadLibrary
to load them.

>  > What happens if the jpeg or xpm or png dlls are not found ?
>
>  Nothing, because they are not statically linked. If Emacs was built with jpeg support (or png, etc.), it will
>  check at runtime (and on demand, the first time a jpeg function is needed) that the jpeg DLL can be
>  loaded. If not, the function will fail and Emacs will take note that the DLL is unavailable.
>
> And it is the same for ImageMagick.

Please describe how this would work, without using
dynamic-library-alist.

But I never said that it would work without using dynamic-library-alist ?
I said that I may have missed that part of the patch when I have posted it.
I was objecting to the fact that IM has to be statically linked.

The attached patch should be a proof of concept.

Fabrice