Re: with-url

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: with-url
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 23:07:17 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> Via a global variable?

No.  I suggested a bound variable in the form executed,

(with-url (status "http:...")
  (url-error status)
  ...)

but Stefan suggested a buffer-local variable instead.  I went with the
latter today.

>> None of these errors are control-flow-level errors, but are expected
>> behaviour.
>
> Try evaluating (insert-file-contents "/abc/def").
>
> It signals file-error.
>
> How is that different, conceptually speaking, from a 404 status
> (application level error) or domain resolution error (IP level error)?

The network is transient.  These events are expected.  That the file
you've just examined isn't there is a different class of error.