Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 18:00:10 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 18:31:54 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 13:27:27 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> > Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>

> > To those bugs I would add:
> > #23630: Emacs 25.0.94.1: desktop-read loads buffers in the wrong order.
> > #19706: Emacs 25.0.50; (+ nil nil -1) in desktop-restore-frameset

> When were those last tried?  Is it possible that they are fixed on the
> release branch?

#19706 had a workaround applied to it, I think.  (I think I did this
myself)
#23630 is not fixed.  I've just tried it.....

> FWIW, when I finished working on bug#24298, I no longer saw incorrect
> order of buffers after restoring the desktop: their order was always
> the same, as long as I restored from the same desktop file.  Maybe you
> just don't like the order in which desktop.el puts them in the desktop
> file?

... on master.  I had four frames open, cycled through them, then did
C-x C-c, creating the desktop file and exiting.

I restarted Emacs, which created the four frames, and then did C-x C-b.
The second entry there was *scratch*.  This was not any of the four
buffers which were in the frames' windows when I previously shut down.

Other than that, the order of the buffers in C-x C-b is the reverse of
the order in my desktop file.

This was in GNU, X-Windows, with desktop-restore-frames set to t, using
version 208 (i.e. Emacs >= 25) of the desktop file format.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).