Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 18:55:37 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 20:14:03 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 18:00:10 +0000
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > #23630 is not fixed.  I've just tried it.....

> > > FWIW, when I finished working on bug#24298, I no longer saw incorrect
> > > order of buffers after restoring the desktop: their order was always
> > > the same, as long as I restored from the same desktop file.  Maybe you
> > > just don't like the order in which desktop.el puts them in the desktop
> > > file?

> > ... on master.  I had four frames open, cycled through them, then did
> > C-x C-c, creating the desktop file and exiting.

> > I restarted Emacs, which created the four frames, and then did C-x C-b.
> > The second entry there was *scratch*.  This was not any of the four
> > buffers which were in the frames' windows when I previously shut down.

> ??? The *scratch* buffer is created in any Emacs session regardless of
> the saved desktop.  So why isn't the above TRT?  When did Emacs and
> desktop.el behave differently?

In All Emacsen up to Emacs 25, *scratch is right at the bottom of the
buffer list, where it won't get in the way.

> > Other than that, the order of the buffers in C-x C-b is the reverse of
> > the order in my desktop file.

> Why is that a problem?  The order of buffers in the desktop file is
> not something a user is supposed to look at, or care about.

I care a great deal about it.  I have set up keys <f1> to <f11> in the
global key map to mean "switch to frame Fn".  Thus, rather than just
being an arbitrary GUI window, each frame is associated with a particular
function key.  I even have "Fn" in the mode line to see which frame I'm
in.

Usually when I close an Emacs session, I quickly type <f6>, <f5>, ....,
<f1> to order the buffers in my .emacs.desktop.  When I start Emacs (in a
Linux tty, usually, with desktop-restore-frames nil) I do, repeatedly,
C-x 5 b <cr> to set up the same buffers in the "same" frames.  For this,
I need the buffers to be loaded in the right order, WITHOUT *scratch* as
an interloper.  At the moment, this isn't happening in master in some
circumstances.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).