Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 21:11:03 +0200

> Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 18:55:37 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> > > the order in my desktop file.
>
> > Why is that a problem?  The order of buffers in the desktop file is
> > not something a user is supposed to look at, or care about.
>
> I care a great deal about it.  I have set up keys <f1> to <f11> in the
> global key map to mean "switch to frame Fn".  Thus, rather than just
> being an arbitrary GUI window, each frame is associated with a particular
> function key.  I even have "Fn" in the mode line to see which frame I'm
> in.
>
> Usually when I close an Emacs session, I quickly type <f6>, <f5>, ....,
> <f1> to order the buffers in my .emacs.desktop.  When I start Emacs (in a
> Linux tty, usually, with desktop-restore-frames nil) I do, repeatedly,
> C-x 5 b <cr> to set up the same buffers in the "same" frames.  For this,
> I need the buffers to be loaded in the right order, WITHOUT *scratch* as
> an interloper.  At the moment, this isn't happening in master in some
> circumstances.

I don't really understand the need for this.  I always have several
frames in my sessions, each one with its buffer, and when I restore
the sessions, each frame comes up with the same buffer it had when I
shut down Emacs, no complicated frame-walking dance necessary, neither
before shutting down Emacs nor after restarting it.  Maybe this stuff
you do is the culprit?