Re: CEDET Merge

From: Edward John Steere
Subject: Re: CEDET Merge
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 11:23:38 +0200

> There seems to be a misunderstanding here: The ChangeLog is generated
> from the commit log and not written separately anymore.

Alright.  Out of interest: is there a command for generating all of the
entries for a commit range?  I'm only aware of C-x 4 a
(add-change-log-entry-other-window) which seems to generate a change log
entry for the current file and only for the latest commit.

> I don't think it makes sense to fix up all the commits messages. The
> commits you've merged go back to the beginning of CEDET, and I don't
> think there's any sense it writing proper ChangeLogs for them now. They
> are only tests, after all. However, it is very good that we have the
> history on your branch, because it makes it much easier to check if all
> authors have signed papers (last I asked, authors of non-trivial tests
> were also required to have papers signed with the FSF).
>
> In my opinion, once we have decided which tests to keep and fixed them,
> we should squash them and commit it as a new test suite.

Agreed.

>> Finally; the tests don't run with the CEDET in Emacs.
>
> That's totally expected. I'll take a look at them.
>
> -David

I've just made some fixes to the tests this morning (I had messed up the
merge of ia-utest.el and missed the whole of the cpproot directory for
utests.)  With that change the tests run with my current Emacs (which
runs the modified CEDET that I created by merging Emacs-CEDET -> CEDET.)

To anyone who has pulled my branch, scratch/merge-cedet-tests, I'd just
ask that you git pull -f because I rewrote that branches history to
correct my mistake.