Re: Change in files.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Change in files.el
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 19:21:36 -0500

  > - So that you don't have to wrap each and every use inside an `if'.

But...that use is already inside an `if'.
This is the default for an argument which already can be nil.

  > - Or so you don't have to fix the docstring to say what happens when the
  >   value is nil.

I don't think it is necessary.

  > - Or so you can use `add-function' on it.

But you can't do that anyway.

  > - More generally, so that you can slightly change its behavior without
  >   having to re-implement the default behavior by hand.

But `save-some-buffers' already implements the default behavior,
since 1984.

  > - Also, so as to make sure that it is *possible* to reimplement the
  >   default behavior by hand (i.e. to make sure the predicate has access to
all
  >   the info it needs to reproduce the default behavior).

I don't think it is worth doing this much extra work
merely to introduce a default value for the argument PRED.

--
Dr Richard Stallman