Re: Docker Hub requires nonfree software to log in

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Docker Hub requires nonfree software to log in
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 09:32:21 -0500

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 21:50:44 -0500 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>> We could do that, it will just require an additional setup step. The
>> advantage
>> to DockerHub is that it's the default place that docker will look if you try
>> to run an image that doesn't exist yet on your machine. If we provide a
>> custom
>> download location, people will need to either configure Docker to look there
>> (which is needed for upgrades to happen seamlessly, should they follow the
>> "latest" tag), or download and import the image manually.

RS> That's not the end of the world.  So that's what we should to do.

RS> Given our example, maybe people will convince Docker Hub to fix their
RS> problem so we can upload our image there.

I think you're confusing two things: Docker Hub as a web site (which
requires nonfree software to use during *setup*) and Docker Hub as an
image repository (which requires nothing but Docker itself, it's like a
package repository with automated builds per package). They may talk to
the same backend databases, but they are not the same thing.

Building an alternative to Docker Hub is an interesting proposition, but
not a blocker to this work.

Until there's an alternative, I'm keeping the Docker Hub account active
and will set up builds there. When there's an alternative, I'm happy to
migrate it or duplicate it.

Ted