Re: Docker Hub requires nonfree software to log in

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Docker Hub requires nonfree software to log in
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 22:34:23 -0500

  > I think you're confusing two things: Docker Hub as a web site (which
  > requires nonfree software to use during *setup*) and Docker Hub as an
  > image repository (which requires nothing but Docker itself, it's like a
  > package repository with automated builds per package). They may talk to
  > the same backend databases, but they are not the same thing.

This is the first I heard of the distinction.

A concrete practical question: does it work to prepare and upload
images without running nonfree JS code?

If so, we can go ahead and upload images.

  > Building an alternative to Docker Hub is an interesting proposition, but
  > not a blocker to this work.

That seems to be a misunderstanding -- I didn't propose we do that,
only that we distribute our Emacs images from some FSF server.  The
image is just a file, right?  So we can distribute it any way that we
distribute other files, right?

--
Dr Richard Stallman