Re: Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 10:09:36 -0500

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 15:55:56 -0600 Stephen Leake <address@hidden> wrote:

>> John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> We're moving toward a future where Emacs.git will represent "core
>>> Emacs", and only contain what core needs (plus a few historical bits,
>>> I'm sure). There should be no argument for keeping a project in core
>>> just to gain auxiliary benefits.

SL> It is primarily up to the package developers whether a package is in
SL> core or not, at least until it is clear that there is no advantage to
SL> being in core.

Stephen, I think your statement and John's statement don't agree.

SL> ;; package-requires: ((emacs "25.2"))

FWIW, I agree with Lars because we had many years of maintenance pain
with Gnus due to old Emacs and XEmacs versions. Every time we tried to
add the package requirement, there were people objecting because distro
X only packaged Emacs Y. This affected not only new features, but also
security and documentation.

So if the "core" and the "extras" of Emacs are separated, there has to
be a way to pin a package to "latest" Emacs. And then there has to be a
mechanism to a priori reject bugs filed by people who want to use that
package with a previous Emacs, because those people exist and are very
determined, and I don't want to spend my time arguing with them about
social responsibility.

Ted