Re: Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 09:37:37 -0500

> Well, they do that anyway. Org-mode, in Emacs core is quite a way behind
> org-mode latest. That's the start point of this discussion.  And, for
> packages which are maintained only in core (not synced to an external repo
> like org), well, we currently have Emacs-25 and Emacs-26 in active
> development.

Org-mode is (for me) one of the best candidates to move to elpa.git
exactly for that reason: the main issue is to avoid having
separate branches.  Moving it to elpa.git doesn't impose any extra
hassle of backward compatibility since it's already distributed
separately and hence already has to cater to backward compatibility.

But that doesn't apply to all packages.

        Stefan