Re: Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 09:57:36 -0500

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 09:09:54 -0500 John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

LI> If Django had traditionally always been distributed along with Python, and
LI> maintained in the Python repo, and the suggestion now would be to move
LI> Django to a part of the Python repo that very few developers look at, but
LI> Django would continue to be distributed with Python, and all Django bug
LI> reports would continue to go to the Python bug repository, and Python
LI> developers would continue to be responsible for QA and bug fixing of
LI> Django.

JW> OK, to continue the analogy, what is the right answer? Technically it
doesn't
JW> seem as though Django belongs there, even if culturally it sounds hard to
JW> separate. Should it stay indefinitely, or should the development model
change?

Packages which require tight integration with the core should stay.
Technically, I think at least these factors matter:

* high degree of overlap in developer community
* high degree of overlap in user community
* high degree of internal coupling with core, especially on new features
* many components and libraries shared with core
* bug reports against the package often are actually against the core,
  or require core changes to be resolved

I think Gnus matches those.

Ted