Bug #25608 and the comment-cache branch

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Bug #25608 and the comment-cache branch
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 20:24:18 +0000

Hello Eli and Emacs.

With bug #25608 (....

/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(c) Copyright notice containing open parentheses
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

....), the last line spuriously indents c-basic-offset columns
rightwards.  The cause of this is the open paren at column zero inside
the comment.

This is just the latest manifestation of this bug (which surely it is)
to hit bug-gnu-emacs and bug-cc-mode.  There will surely be more to come
if we don't fix it.

In the comment-cache branch, the above scenario isn't a bug.  It
analyses and indents correctly in that branch.

I think we are all agreed that Emacs should handle correctly formed
comments in C.  comment-cache does correctly handle comments, and it has
been shown to be essentially no slower than master.

I would like to merge comment-cache into master, finally fixing this bug
once and for all.  What do you say, Eli?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).