Re: Using CEDET modules from Emacs core

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Using CEDET modules from Emacs core
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 23:24:55 -0500

SM> 2- We wanted to integrate it more tightly with Emacs (not in terms of
SM> bug-tracking and releasing schedule, but in terms of making it
SM> possible for generic Emacs code to use some of CEDET, and to
SM> encourage more major modes and other features to use CEDET).
> Can you clarify what the plans are here?

The plans were not very clear, no.  Just a general feeling that there's
a lot of opportunity for integration.  It has not materialized the way
we had hoped, admittedly.  I guess I'd consider the xref work as
something in that direction, although it happened more by replacing
CEDET's system than by integrating it.

> Which CEDET features would we want to use from core?

For one, I'd like to see more major modes come with support for Semantic
right in the major mode's own definition (rather than have it part of
CEDET).  E.g. for Elisp mode, CC-mode, ...

The idea is to get to the point where Semantic support is just another
thing that a major mode should aim to support alongside syntax-tables,
indentation, font-lock, outline-minor-mode, ...

        Stefan